Susan - Masking Unleashed
Masking presents so many interesting options and I especially liked the video in which Svitlana used the die cut wreath to mask and produce a dimensional look. I decided to give a similar technique a try.
As we round the corner into late July and begin to think about fall with it's beautiful, rich colors, I decided to go with a fall/Thanksgiving theme for this card.
In order to show the masking and layering effect, I have a photo of the panel on which I used the 2 wreath dies from the Weekend Doodles die set. I made one mask of each of them, and moved them around the panel that had been inked lightly with yellow (Scattered Straw) Distress Oxide ink and then built up layers of yellows, oranges and reds to get a layered wreath base panel. I sprayed the panel with Gold Shimmer spray, giving it a shimmery look:
The wreaths that go on top of this are made from various colors of vellum and then stamped (using the Weekend Doodles stamps that go with the dies) with various colors of ink (2 metallic colors and one dark red). After stamping, I heat embossed them with clear embossing powder. This is helpful both to make the stamping stand out a bit more, and so that the ink doesn't smear which can be an issue when you stamp on vellum. The sentiment words are from a Spellbinders set. Each is die cut from a different metallic cardstock and then mounted on a black die cut to make it a little more dimensional and help the word stand out. The elements of the card before constructing it are shown here:
The layered wreath panel is popped up on fun foam and mounted onto a bronze metallic card base. The vellum wreaths are then added, in this case using tape runner in various places on the back of the wreaths so that some areas of the wreath can stand up a bit. The words are then added along with some jewel embellishments in yellow, orange and carmine. Here are all the elements put together:
I certainly feel thankful, grateful and blessed for being a part of the AECP!